- There’s a really good parking space here. Seriously… it can make a lot of difference if you can get yourself parked up here. You are then on the doorstep of both Latrigg and Skiddaw. But we’re ignoring Skiddaw here. This is about Latrigg. You do need to get here reasonably early as parking can be a bit free form and it does busy up. There are no other facilities here other than parking and mountains and views. Hey, what more do you need?
2. The track around Latrigg is perfectly accessible. Now we’ve done the journey using a powered all-terrain wheelchair (ATW) and wouldn’t like to pass judgement on using a manual wheelchair or a something like a Mountain Trike. Our suspicions would be that these two options could involve some sweating, some panting and some cursing. But if that’s your thing, go for it.
3. The views. For such a small top, Latrigg has amazing views packed into it. For just a mere 368m of height, it certainly packs a punch when it comes to the stunning vista that unfolds across Keswick and Derwent Water. If we were salespeople, we’d be telling you that this little top comes high on the charts of value for money. Just think… great views, no sweat. Well, little sweat.
4. It’s close to Keswick. This is important too because of the lack of facilities actually at Latrigg itself. However, Keswick is a mere hop, skip and a jump away if your gear changes are crap and then your options are limitless, so to speak. And after the battering Cumbria took last year with the storms, it’s always worth remembering that spending some hard-earned cash here will go a long way in helping the place recover. Remember #NotJustLakes
5. There’s a bench. For some people this may clinch the deal. Not only is there a bench, but there is a bench with a view. E.M. Forster considered this as a title for one of his novels, but went with the much less credible ‘room’ instead. If only he’d sat here, eaten sandwiches and taken in the views, he’d have reconsidered.
In conclusion, Latrigg’s a great top. Easily accessible with extremely convenient parking and some simply wonderful views. Enjoy.